<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Rain, Pain and Angst Again 

I guess I could see it coming. Missing my wife (she's gone for two weeks). Raining almost every day. Heard some sad news in church. Sick these past few days (got pharyngitis: hurts like heck when I swallow or talk). Feelings of alienation with some people. A good friend's job is killing him (I know a bit about that!). Another friend is feeling depressed; he's wrestling with the loneliness and temptation that comes with being single, after having given up his girlfriend 17 years ago when God saved him from a life of drugs and gangs. Then it happened: I had a momentary angst attack.

when the rain comes it seems that everyone has gone away
when the night falls you wonder if you shouldn't find someplace
to run and hide / escape the pain
but hiding's such a lonely thing to do

I can't stop the rain
from falling down on you again
I can't stop the rain
but I will hold you 'til it goes away

Third Day, "when the rain comes"

If we lived in a world without tears
How would bruises find
The face to lie upon
How would scars find skin
To etch themselves into
How would broken find the bones

Lucinda Williams, "World Without Tears"

I swear I'm going to get very angry if someone gives me one of those trite, cutesy Christian words of "encouragement" like: When things are looking down, just look Up. Some of us are just a bit more melancholic than others; not everyone can be a "happy clappy" person all the time!

I think part of my problem is that most of my friends are single and younger than I am, which is fine, but it'd be nice to also have some friends who are in my stage of life whom I can relate to in our similiar context. However, it seems everyone is too damn busy!


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?