<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

The Power of Prayer 

Our good friends Barney and Shirley, who are sadly soon to return home to England, had invited us over to their place for prayer for healing. Being charismatics, Barney and Shirley bring a whole different perspective on sickness and healing than I am used to, coming from a conservative evangelical background. We spoke about a bit about my life history, growing up as I did in a dysfunctional family; through the years of angst in university as I asked the Big Questions of Life and sought ways to fill the void in my heart; when I finally understood why Jesus died on the Cross and thus found salvation; and all the ups and downs of life right up to the present.

They noted several negative patterns in my life story and began to view my illness through the framework of spiritual warfare and generational curses. Then the prayed for me, replete with tongues speaking and all. It was a most interesting experience and I was grateful for them taking the time (it was close to 11:00 pm by the time we left) to really pray for us, not just a token 3 minute prayer that I'm used to getting.

How I will miss them when they leave .. though we've only gotten to know them well in the past year, they have left a deep impression on our lives. Shirley has really encouraged me and challenged me to use my gifts. I remember how I thought I really blew it when I preached last May, but both her and Barney were so quick to genuinely express their appreciation of what I had to say, and they encouraged me not to be so hard on myself. Barney has really helped me to fine-tune my thoughts on church life with his reminder that the "wine must dictate the nature of the wineskins", and he has challenged me to turn my visions of church life into reality by stepping out in faith and acting on my convictions.

Earlier that day, we broke the news to my family, and my dad took it quite hard, which was surprising since our relationship has always been somewhat shaky. But deep down I love my dad. I love my family, even though we're not that close. Sad that it may take a serious illness to restore the family relationships.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?