<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 16, 2004

An Untouchable? 

Because I've largely been confined to my home since my diagnosis (due to risk of getting an infection), I'm "dying" to see people, so I decide to attend church. My wife gives me permission, but I have to wear this ridiculous looking mask for protection. Our good friend Shirley was preaching, which was a bonus, since we've never heard her preach before.

Shirley's message was very good, on following Jesus. Makes me wonder why they waited until she and Barney are about to leave before asking her to preach! (Would have also liked to have heard Barney preach .. oh well). Anyhow, afterwards, a few people came up to me to express their concern; a few even dared to shake my hand!

But I did notice that people in general seemed somewhat awkward towards me. (Could be that they didn't want to burst out laughing at my funny mask). In the end, I found myself standing alone near the exit. One fella (who's never made any effort to even say "Hello" to me) walked right by me without even looking at me. This after my wife made a tearful announcement and plea for prayer. (The most memorable line from her announcement was "You can't really tell he's sick other than he looks more yellow than usual, even though he is Chinese") I don't know, maybe he misunderstood my wife's explanation, and thought that I was the contagious one! Or maybe he doesn't like Chinks. I dunno. Whatever.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?