<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 25, 2004

Gratefulness 

As I reflect on my present circumstances, I find myself praising God for what I'm going through. Through this experience, I have been overwhelmed by the love of God, both directly and mediated through His people. The many expressions of love and support, the practical demonstrations of care, financial gifts, encouragement through cards, letters, e-mails, phone calls and personal visits far outweigh any pain, inconvenience or anxiety that I may have because of my disease. What is thrilling for me is to see the truth of the "One Body" (1 Cor. 12:12-31) exemplified by so many of you: "If one member suffers, everyone suffers with it. If a member is honored, all rejoice with it." (1 Cor. 12:26). I'm at loss to express my appreciation for God's goodness; it seems the only fitting response is to bow down and thank Him for who He is.

In his fine book, Thanksgiving: An investigation of a Pauline theme, David Pao writes:

Thanksgiving in Paul is an act of worship. It is not focused primarily on the benefits received or the blessed condition of a person; instead, God is the centre of thanksgiving.

I close with this poem from the 13th century poet Rumi ...

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
Meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

- Jelaluddin Rumi (translation by Coleman Barks)


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?